Chief Operating Officer (COO) (Reference Number: 2699)
Position Type: Full Time
Position Location: Sarnia
Date Posted: 05.08.2019
Experience: 10 + years
Education: Post secondary in Business
Lucas Professional Search Group is currently recruiting on behalf of The Federal Bridge Corporation Limited (FBCL) for a Chief Operating Officer (COO).
The Federal Bridge Corporation Limited (FBCL) is a Crown corporation constituted under the Canada Business Corporations Act and listed in Schedule III of part 1 of the Financial Administration Act and is an agent of Her Majesty. FBCL is responsible for the Canadian federal interest at four of eleven international bridge locations in Ontario. FBCL’s mission is to optimize the safety, security, sustainability and capacity of bridge operations to the benefit of Canada while serving the travelling public with efficiency and respect.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a senior executive position within the Corporation and a key member of the Senior Management Team. The COO is primarily responsible for leadership and oversight of the Operations Branch and liaison with senior leadership of the Corporation’s subsidiary, bridge partners and border agencies. The main functions of the Operations Branch include revenue generation (tolling and leases), traffic movement, asset management and maintenance.
- Manage and direct operations, through various business structures and international agreements, at four international bridge crossings (with a combined asset value in the hundreds of millions of dollars), to meet corporate objectives and budget
- Develop, communicate and implement effective operating strategies, policies, standards and processes to support corporate objectives and core values
- Establish and maintain a portfolio approach to asset management through the Corporation ensuring best practices, efficiencies and synergies
- Implement actions to address the findings of the annual bridge inspection reports (as required by the International Bridges and Tunnels Act) to ensure bridge safety and security for users
- Review, develop and recommend to the CEO any changes to the FBCL tolling policies and strategy and other revenue generation strategies in support of Corporation’s sustainability strategies
- Establish and maintain a variety of diverse and complex relationships with U.S. partners and bridge management boards (bridges are co-managed, self-managed with joint arrangements or through a U.S. operator under contract)
- Responsible to manage urgent or high-profile operational issues in liaison with federal government representatives and US partners as required
- Work in partnership with the Senior Management Team to create and execute a strategic five-year plan and implement processes and approaches for its achievement
- Motivate and lead a high-performing team; mentor direct reports to cultivate skills and to increase awareness of the interrelationship between each department in the reporting group and across the corporation
- Ensure that there is an effective succession plan in place for the key reporting positions
- Remain knowledgeable of market and industry trends and competitors to lead business and development strategy of FBCL
- Translate strategy into actionable goals for performance and growth helping to implement organization-wide goal setting, performance management and, annual operating planning
- Knowledge of Business Management normally acquired through post-secondary education or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years leadership experience, in such areas as tolling operations, the transportation sector, maintenance of major infrastructure assets and/or asset management, including 5 years’ experience in operations and providing strategic advice to senior executives on a broad range of business issues
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and provide positive guidance to staff at all levels to achieve corporate objectives and deliver high-performance
- Sound awareness of government priorities in general and as they affect the Canada-U.S. border
- Strong understanding of business functions such as HR, finance, communications, etc.
- Outstanding ability to build partnerships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders for the achievement of corporate results
- Strong leadership skills, with steadfast resolve and personal integrity
- A forward thinker with excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills
- Superior negotiation and writing skills
- Language – English, French language skills would be an asset
- A clean record for travel across international borders is a must
If you feel you meet the above requirements and have relevant experience, please forward your resume to Lucas Professional Search Group to the attention of Janine Gaudette at email@example.com or 519 988 1000.
Share this Job:
Forward your resume, cover letter stating qualifications and salary expectations for this position.
Contact Name: Janine Gaudette