- Take the time to build genuine relationships with the people you work with and for?
- Anticipate the needs of your manager, seeking out guidance only after conceiving of and suggesting viable courses of action?
- Seek out opportunities to support peers by taking on overflow work without needing to be asked?
- Find ways to improve processes, making yourself and those around your more efficient and effective?
- Attract other prospective Superstar Coworkers to come work on your team?
Did you answer yes to most or all of these questions? That’s great! But, is it possible to do the above without becoming a pushover? Absolutely – Superstar Coworkers also:
- Hold themselves and others accountable to expectations, deliverables, and deadlines
- Clearly communicate their expectations, aspirations, and goals
- Understand their value at their employer and in the marketplace
The bottom line is people fitting the criteria defined above are often the glue holding together dynamic companies, especially during periods of rapid growth and change. How can you thank them? A nice bottle of wine, unexpected cup of coffee, or gift card to their favorite store are great options; but sometimes, a simple thank you, recognizing them in front of the team is all it takes. So take the time to think about who truly makes your job easier, more fun, less stressful, simply better, overall. And say thank you!